Thursday, October 29, 2009

Transition - Red Group

Two weeks ago Avery transitioned to the next room at school.  She is now with all the 2+ year olds in the Red Group with teachers Annette, Coco and Anna.  I was a little worried because she was so bonded to Teacher Beverly in her last class but she has done great with the transition.  She seems very happy and talks about various things on the way home.  Like eating soup and playing the maraca (when we said you played the maracas? she said no i played one maraca :)). She has smiled, happily waving to me each morning when I have left her.   She is now officially in preschool, no longer just daycare.  They have circle time in the morning where they have flannel board stories where they can talk about things, work on memory, language, letters and numbers.  Then during playtime they can decide at which station they want to play rather than all doing the same thing at the same time as in her toddler room.   They also spend more time each day outside.  This is also the room where she will potty train.  This will be in a few months.  She still has no interest in such things and they want her settled into this room first.  


Since entering the red group she has had an explosion of interest in the alphabet.  Much like her "interesting" counting 1, 2, 3, 5, 18, 4, Avery likes to forget TUV every time she sings the ABC's.  Ugh!  I think she does it just to annoy us :)  She gets into routines where she wants the same book read to her every night.  Time for Bed was replaced by Good Night Moon which was replaced by Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots? which has now been replaced by Dr Seuss' ABC book.  She is learning letters every day and now recognizes and can name about 20 of the letters; B, L, N and T are still challenging ones.  She loves it and is so proud of herself when she gets one right.   

There was a power outage at work Tuesday night.  This meant the elevator in the parking garage was not working.  We had parked on the 7th floor as we often do.  I thought Avery would help me out, we'd walk up slowly, we'd make it eventually.  After the first flight she broke down crying "carry me!!!"  A very kind woman who I had never seen before asked if she could carry one of my 2 bags for me, me "oh no, no, we are fine" her "no let me help you" me "okay, thank you thank you thank you".  I carried her up 6 flights of stairs.  Woooo weeeee.  I won't bore you by blogging about all the traffic lights that were out on our way home.  The high winds did a number on LA that night.   

No comments: