Thursday, October 29, 2009

Endless Pursuit

I must preface this post with the fact that I am sooo not creative.  I was born to 2 lovely painter grandparents, my dad's an engineer (that's creative, right?) and my mom has always had a great interest in architechture (also creative I think).  Oh and my sister can paint pretty pictures too.

So after my sister found dalmation tutu costumes for her girls for Halloween, I started looking at all the tutu options.  Avery LOVES Abby Cadabby from Sesame Street.  She loves her Gund Abby which goes almost everywhere with her.  She loves to watch Abby on the computer on YouTube and occasionally on TV.  So I started an endless pursuit of turning a purple, blue and pink tutu that I bought from a tutu maker on Etsy - thegirlytutu - into an Abby Cadabby costume for Halloween.


Although Avery has more hair than ever, she definitely doesn't have enough for pigtails and little hanging Abby yarn hair that I have seen, so I went for a more subtle barrette featuring the colors of Abby's hair and the little white/yellow daisy featured on the Abby doll's head.  This is how they came out.

Abby also has a nice soft fluffy wand.  I looked for some kind of colored foam to attach to a wand but couldn't find anything like that, so I first tried pipe cleaners.  So not a good idea.  The end of those suckers are really sharp, not good for unsupervised costume time at school, they might have kicked us out.  So I went back to JoAnn's and bought 4 different colored sheer wired ribbons, and wrapped them around the wand, and here that is.  The wand is pictured with Abby for those of you who don't know who she is.  She is very fun and sweet, she is a fairy goddaughter.  

Pictures of the final product to be available shortly after Halloween.

1 comment:

a gracious plenty said...

she will be gorgeous. you did a great job. you are such a good mom.