Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Freecycle Patio table

So we recently expanded our patio for the purpose of putting a dining table out there. I was going to go the usual route and buy one when I came up with idea of building one... I will let you decide if it was good or bad.

We have several slabs of quartz laying in our backyard from our kitchen. I have wanted to do something with them because it seems like such a waste of a really cool material



I needed legs for the table, but they would have to be really strong to hold the weight of the quartz and they would have to be weather proof. After going to home depot I made my way into the outdoor fence section and realized that if I took a small fence post and turned it upside down and then cut 5 inches off, it would make a great outdoor leg. Each leg cost me around $8. I just had to make sure they were all cut the exact same size so it wouldn't wobble. Thank you articulating saw!


Next the guy at home depot recommended the right kind of plywood for the slab to sit on and showed me how to counter sink bolts. I then had to weatherproof the plywood with some primer.



Then it was just a matter of putting it together and praying the table didn't wobble


I then took the slabs and glued them down with industrial glue. The table probably weighs over 200 lbs and doesn't budge. Here's the finished product that cost me a grand total of $40.

5 comments:

GrandPa said...

Jon:
Way COOL.....what a great table with very little money spent!!!!
Wish you could have managed our little project...oh well....hopefully the extra $$$ we spent will be spent as wisely as you spend money!!!!!
Happy Birthday to L.....a BIG day!!
Luall, NanaLin & G'Pa

a gracious plenty said...

wow. love the new table. it looks like an $800 table. i hope you all have lots of wonderful meals and conversations around it.

KGI PPM Alumni Blog said...

That is great Jon!

KGI PPM Alumni Blog said...

That is great Jon!

Amy said...

I love it...such a great way to "recycle". You should post this on Pinterest!