Friday, November 27, 2009

Introducing Sherry

For Avery's birthday my grandmother sent Avery her first Cabbage Patch Kid. As a kid I was obsessed with my 'cabbies', I actually had 17 and loved them all. But the one I loved best was Kelly, my very first Cabbage Patch Kid. She had short brown hair and green eyes and a little scar on her cheek where she fell off my BigWheel and landed on the asphalt. It never did go away. I have pictures from when I got Kelly and even without the pictures I would remember, it was the Christmas when I was 7. It was the first year that they were out and it was all I wanted for Christmas. My grandma had to have her friend at the local store set one aside for her because they were so hard to come by. The whole day went by, all the packages were opened and I had no cabbie and I remember being sad and disappointed until someone mentioned there might be one more present, I think it was hidden in the foyer closet. I tore into that thing, gave my grandma the biggest kiss and then literally took the oath to love and protect my newly adopted doll.




So when Avery's Cabbie arrived, I put her away in the closet. Avery had just fallen in love with Abby and I couldn't bring myself to let Avery get her first Cabbage Patch Kid and not remember it or toss her aside. The other night I realized before we know it the holidays will be here and I could not let her get overshadowed once again. So we had Avery sing her ABC's and count to 5 (it took a few attempts as she still prefers to say 1, 2, 3, 5, 18, 4) and then we brought her Sherry out. Avery was immediately smitten and so excited to hold her. Her real name was Cheryl but Avery found that hard to say, so we renamed her. Within 3 minutes she was saying "Sherry, I love you." She insisted on sleeping with Sherry and she pretty much has gone everywhere with us since. Thanks Grandma for such a special gift! We love you.








No comments: