Sunday, February 10, 2008

Puree! Schmuree!
















So I consider myself to be well-versed in the fine art of cooking. Really how hard can it be to steam a sweet potato, puree it, throw it in with some cereal and milk and call it a baby meal? And what baby doesn't like sweet potatoes? So I embark on this adventure with full confidence in myself, which I suppose was my first mistake.

Well, truly my worst mistake was presuming that a blender would puree steamed sweet potatoes with the same efficacy as a cuisinart. So I blended and blended, added a little of the cooking liquid (for the vitamins of course) and it looked halfway decent and so i made up a big bowl of mush containing my newly cooked sweet potatoes and Avery would have none of it. Like, anti-swallow response, crying, screaming, tears streaming down the face, oops choking can't breathe for a second or two, more crying. Then I wanted to cry, looking at 1/4 of my potatoes, 2 ounces of breastmilk and some cereal, all destined for disposal.

Well, we'll try again tomorrow. 2nd time goes about as 1st. Then I start to think, maybe I need to puree it a bit more. So I throw the "pureed/blended" potatoes into the cuisinart, let it run for a few seconds, remove the lid and the exact thought in my head is "oh yeah, that's what baby food is supposed to look like", smooth and decadent. How I was unable the day before to recognize "that is not what baby food is supposed to look like" is beyond me.

Anyway, 3rd time's a charm, I vote for Cuisinart all the way. She loves sweet potatoes. Thank goodness.

2 comments:

GrandPa said...

WOW...it must be a CA / Venice thing......don't sweettaters came in 19 cent jars????? Maybe I'm out of touch....Avery is beautiful dressed in taters.....lu, G'Pa

NanaLin said...

Admit it G'Pa Avery is beautiful in anything. Gerber needs to capture the pics for their ads!!

NanaLin