Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Veggie Bliss

I came to a shocking realization on Avery's second birthday that she had essentially gone for a year of her life without eating vegetables.  What?!?!  I am so ashamed!!  After all that homemade babyfood of yesteryear, when she turned one she started vetoing purees and vegetables in their natural form.  Rather than persevering against the negativity, I gave up.  And then she turned 2. Really?  Wow.
So I decided something had to change.  I had received a cookbook from my mom last Christmas from my wish list, called Deceptively Delicious.  I pulled it out and started reading.  I went on a vegetable-puree-making rampage; spinach, carrot, broccoli, yams and cauliflower.  
I am happy to report that both in crudite form and hidden purees, Avery has started trying vegetables on a regular basis.  Notice I don't say "eating", just "trying" but I will take it.  It is a vast improvement.  
There's spinach hiding under that pizza sauce and cheese, see it between her 2 front teeth?
One of my favorite recommendations from the book is to offer crudite as a pre-dinner snack when your little one starts complaining of hunger before dinner is finished cooking.  Dip it in a little plain yogurt and it's kind of a fun little activity.

That lasagna has sweet potato and cauliflower purees in it and it's super tasty.

One of my favorite things I have made from this cookbook is the homemade ketchup.  Doesn't it look yummy?  Okay, maybe the picture doesn't capture the yumminess.  It really is delicious. Jon is a freak for ketchup, drowns his food in it and he loved it.  It is low sugar and has carrot puree aplenty. Bring on the fall vegetables and wish me luck.  Mmm, mmm.



1 comment:

The Sweetest Bean said...

karen-
that is awesome and it seems like you are having great success. i got that cook book for graduation last year and your post makes me want to pull it out and revisit it! (Sorry about the aunt rachie thing! :-) )