Monday, October 13, 2008

Lots of Language - 15 months

I have been wanting to post about language development for some time now. Since Avery turned 1 and especially over the past few weeks her ability to communicate has grown rapidly. She started off by saying "hi" back mid-June. This then progressed to words like dada, mama, bubble, bottle, ball. Then lately she is like a new woman saying words like desitin and byebye dada, (ba)nana, apple, hi doggie, up and down (as in "the windows on the bus go up and down"), sh-shh-shh (as in "the mommies on the bus go sh-shh-shh") up above the (to prompt us to sing twinkle twinkle little star), shoes, sit (as in sit quincy!), door, eye, nose, mouth, shoes, Pa, I know (repeating after me as she fusses as I change her diaper and say, I know, I know), deedos (aka cheerios), that, oskar (for her little neighbor friend), more.
My other favorite part of the development has been her use of sign language. For so long I showed her more and all done and one day that clicked so we started teaching other things like milk, hat, banana, shoes, grapes and water. Her adaptation of the sign for water is so cute, I will try to get it on film to show you.

1 comment:

lisa may terwilliger said...

it's stunning how much their language skills just sky rocket! pretty soon, you won't be able to say anything if you don't want it repeated - it's all spelling from here on out! (until they learn to spell, of course!)