Saturday, July 19, 2008

Beets and Chocolate


I got it in my head that since I have made most everything that Avery has eaten thus far, that I would also figure out a way to make pink frosting for Avery's cupcakes without using food coloring. Don't ask me why, I know we all grew up on food coloring and turned out just fine, I guess I am just trying to hold it off for as long as possible. A friend at work and my sister helped me in this endeavor and the final verdict was beet juice. I tried boiling beets and using the pink water, but it wasn't strong enough of a color, so I resorted to canned beet juice added to my variation of the Barefoot Contessa's cream cheese frosting and it came out pretty nicely. I also made the chocolate cupcakes from scratch, a la Joy of Cooking black bottom cupcakes without the cream cheese/chocolate chip filling. I then squeezed them onto a pretty silver platter my grandmother had given us when we got married. I was proud of her 1st birthday "cake".

3 comments:

a gracious plenty said...

it looks great--and delicious. the pink is such a pretty light shade too. i love it.

love y'all, kh+lem

Jen said...

You're so creative! I think they turned out beautiful :) Happy belated birthday Avery.

lisa may terwilliger said...

yum! happy belated birthday, miss avery!